Day Nine – Homeward Bound

Our last morning in Bali began early as for some reason, we weren’t able to sleep. So, we got up and started our day by getting our things together and then heading down to the beach to soak up as much relaxation as we could. I think I dozed for a few minutes and the next thing I knew, it was time to head back to the room to get our stuff for the airport.

Checkout went relatively smoothly although there was no mention of the snafu from the prior evening. Within no time, we were in the cab headed to the airport. For some reason, traffic was lighter than we expected so we got there plenty early. Luckily, we were able to use the lounge so that made our wait a bit more comfortable. But, wifi was not complementary so we spent our time people watching, more than anything.

Eventually we decided to meander over to our gate to get ready for boarding. We were happy we left the lounge a little early because there is additional security screening at the gate and the line was pretty long. We made it through with no problems and then proceeded to wait in the mass of people that were in the gate area. We were on a Boeing 747-400 which is a large plane and the waiting area really wasn’t sufficient to hold all the passengers of such a large aircraft.

After about 20 minutes of waiting, they finally announced boarding for first and business class passengers. As we made our way to the front of the line, we heard music playing but couldn’t tell where it was coming from. As we approached the gate agent, we could see four Cathay Pacific employees performing “La Bamba” on the jet bridge. They had all the instruments, music set up, etc. It was a surreal experience as I’ve never seen anything like it. I really wish I had my camera handy as that would have been a great picture.

Once airborne, I half-heartedly watched a movie and went to sleep for a short while. The flight was only 4 hours and 15 minutes so it was really hard to get any decent amount of sleep. We also went through quite a bit of turbulence which made sleeping a bit difficult. But, we landed on time in Hong Kong. We now find ourselves in “The Wing” lounge in the Hong Kong airport waiting for our flight to New York via Vancouver. This flight will be long, I think something like 11 hours so I’m hoping to stay up for a couple of hours and then hope to get a full night’s sleep with the help of some Advil PM.

I think it’s safe to say that we’re ready to get home. I don’t think more than 10 minutes goes by without one of us mentioning the kids. We can’t wait to see them and get back to our routine!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s